Thursday, February 02, 2006

Like Father, Like Daughter




This is the window at Hannah's Grandma (which she pronounces "Mamaw" with a deep voice) and Pap's house; well, her Grandma and Pap - my parents. I've been told that when I was about her age, I used to stand at that very same window and talk to all the people who passed by... and talk... and talk until they were completely out of sight.

Luckily it is winter and she can't open the window to talk to anyone. It is interesting to see how much like me she is, though.

The reason we were visiting was to mourn the loss of my Pap - Hannah's great grandfather who she also called "Pap." If there's one thing that Pap (and Gram) passed down to us kids and grandkids (and great grandkid), it is to love and appreciate your family. I grew up being as close to my aunts, uncles and cousins as I was to my brother and sister.

Being hours away from family, now, it will be difficult to give Hannah that same kind of experience, but I think we'll all find a way to show her how much she is loved. That is something worth passing down many more generations.

Maybe some day Hannah's great grandkids will stand at the front window talking to everyone who passes by.

No comments: